Thursday, 11 September 2014

Neruda week: Night

Night, sonnet LXXXIX (89)

When I die, I want your hands on my eyes:
I want the light and wheat of your beloved hands
to pass their freshness over me once more:
I want to feel the softness that changed my destiny.

I want you to live while I wait for you, asleep.
I want your ears still to hear the wind, I  want you 
to sniff the sea’s aroma that we loved together,
to continue to walk on the sand we walk on.

I want what I love to continue to live,
and you whom I love and sang above everything else
to continue to flourish, full flowered:

so that you can reach everything my love directs to you,
so that my shadow can travel along in your hair,
so that everything can learn the reason for my song.


OK, what do I like about this poem?

The simplicity of the poem: it is really only one sentence: When I die I want you to be happy so (3x) everyone will understand why I love you. Why I love your body (hands, eyes, ears, hair).

La suavidad can be translated as the softness, but is also means the gentleness, the kindness. I want to sentir – feel – the gentleness that changed my destiny. How many people can say that, you meet some one, you fall in love and it not changes your life and your house and your name sometimes, but she changed his destiny in life. Or, even more poetic, she became his destiny in life. Beautiful, isn’t it?

I also love the tenderness of the first line: When I die, I want your hands on my eyes: I want the light and wheat of your beloved hands to pass their freshness over me once more: I want to feel the softness that changed my destiny. I want your hands on my eyes. To feel you one last time. And then I want you to continue your life to the fullest. Because the more pleasure you will have, the more excitement you’ll experience, the more love you will give after I’m gone, the greater tribute it will be to our love. Because I have found you first, love and our memories are a continuation of that what we once had. 

2 comments:

  1. I want you to live while I wait for you, asleep.
    I want your ears still to hear the wind, I want you
    to sniff the sea’s aroma that we loved together,
    to continue to walk on the sand we walk on.

    These words made me cry....
    Beautifull!

    Thank you, Han.
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "my shadow can travel along in your hair". Ah. We are the fortunate ones, Mona Lisa, you, me and a million other Pablo Neruda fans.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...