Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Neruda week: Evening

Evening, sonnet LXV (65)

Mathilde, where are you? Down there I noticed,
under my necktie and just above the heart,
a certain pang of grief between the ribs,
you were gone that quickly.

I needed the light of your energy,
I looked around, devouring hope.
I watched the void without you that is like a house,
nothing left but tragic windows.

Out of sheer taciturnity the ceiling listens
to the fall of the ancient leafless rain,
to feathers, to whatever the night imprisoned:

so I wait for you like a lonely house
till you will see me again and live in me.
Till then my windows ache.


You are gone and I miss you. And when I see you you will live in me. Again. Till you will see me again and live in me. So until I see you again there is no life for me. You live in me. Not in my house, but in me, inside, just above the heart. And until then the windows of my soul ache. It hurts even reading it. In my lonely house, filled with sheer taciturnity, my windows ache till you see me again. That is why I love this poet so much. “You are gone and I miss you” can be this beautiful. You just need a poet.

Whatever the night imprisoned. All things that are dark and motionless because they can’t get away, feathers, leaves and the remains of a predators lethal attack in the hours of darkness. The ancient leafless rain falls on whatever the night imprisoned. 

It took me a long time to read all 100 sonnets because if I a read a sonnet like this, I keep on thinking about it. Again and again. Can you walk away from the computer and not think about: so I wait for you like a lonely house till you will see me again and live in me? Just do something else and shake it off? 

2 comments:

  1. No, I can`t.

    Very nice and deep poem.
    It is what love is about? Or is it a dependence?
    Both, I think.
    But it must be so fantastic felling to be loved and missed like this.
    I hope that Mathilde appreciated it.

    Thank you, Han för this beautifull poem. Good summary.

    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´m sure Mathilde liked it. More about her in tomorrows´ post.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...